I am indeed wearing green today and am going to be making corned beef and cabbage in the crock pot for dinner tonight, but that’s about as crazy as our celebrations are getting this year..and that’s just fine by me! This weekend was delightfully low-key; we had a great date night on Friday thanks to Portland Dining Month (which I’ll be sharing more about tomorrow!), I went to the Farmer’s Market, saw friends, went to church, did some baking (recipe to come later this week as well!), did some shopping, got ice cream (yum!), and just enjoyed the spring weather here in Portland!
This season really has me in the mood to talk beauty here on my blog! I’ve been a makeup junkie forever, and it’s something that I’ve always loved chatting about with friends. However, ever since I started watching makeup tutorials on YouTube recently I’ve gotten way more into it all; combine that with the onset of spring and I feel like there are tons of beauty-related topics I want to talk about!
When Cameron and I have been out places lately, I seem to notice myself complimenting other women on their nail polish a lot. He jokes that it’s like my conversation starter wherever we go, but I really just have been noticing so many pretty nail colors out there for spring! And whether you’re my barista or my best friend, if I notice your nail polish and I like it, I’ll tell you! Usually because I want to figure out what color it is so I can go buy it for myself…ha! I’m only partially kidding 😉
Personally, I have been on a major kick of keeping my nails painted lately and have been reaching for some long-time favorites in my stash of polishes. Pastels are definitely a big trend for spring, which I realize isn’t earth-shattering, but it just seems to be extra popular this year. I’ve been gravitating towards those shades in my own collection lately, along with a few of my other standby colors for this time of year. Also, although I own a variety of nail polishes, the large majority are Essie. Their enormous color selection is on-point and I love the formula. Here are my tried-and-true spring shades:
1. Find Me an Oasis – My newest Essie addition from their Resort ’14 Collection, I am in love with this beautiful light blue and like that it’s really pale. (Thanks Rachel for picking this one up for me at Ulta!)
2. Lilacism – This is a gorgeous color for transitioning into spring as the pale purple looks so fresh and pretty in comparison to the darker gray and burgundy colors I gravitate towards in the winter.
3. Tart Deco – A peach coral that looks pretty now as well as in the summer with a tan! This is one I wear often during the warmer months, but it’s not so bright that it looks out of place in spring.
4. Turquoise & Caicos – This is a fun color for March, a vibrant teal-green and perfect for spring!
5. Sand Tropez – This is an excellent neutral that goes great with anything and manages to look classic yet stylish at the same time…it’s almost like a pair of nude pumps for your hands, ha!
6. Fiji – I shared this one last week in my pink beauty post, but I had to mention it again because I wore it all last week and just love it. It’s such a pretty feminine pastel that’s very opaque.
Speaking of spring trends, another really big one right now is Pantone’s Color of Year for 2014, Radiant Orchid! This beautiful purple shade is popping up not just for nails but across makeup in general for spring. There are a bunch of gorgeous polishes out there that are a perfect way to wear this on-trend color, so I plan on sharing those for my next installment of Mani Monday – stay tuned!
What about you – any polishes you’re loving right now that I need in my life?
Am I the only one who cares to talk about nail polish? Hopefully not…ha.